Thursday 30 April 2015

What does homesickness feel like?

At some point during your travels you are bound to come across this feeling. No matter how much of a good time you are having, how many laughs you and your friends are having, how many amazing places you are seeing and new experiences you are having, the feeling of homesickness can creep up and before you know it is there. It arrives like an unwanted guest at a dinner party, you try to stay smiling and sociable but it looms over you and stops your fun in a second.

I'm sure it is different for everyone but for me it tends to hit suddenly and without warning. I had a case of this the other week. I just got off the phone with my sister and had been telling her about my new job in Melbourne and how much I loved it, my colleagues and my new boss and all the amazing oppertunities there are for me here. I had felt it creeping in before I called her but after I got off the phone the feeling of hopelessness just pounced straight at me and when for my jugular. Before I knew it I was having a cry to myself and questioning why I am here, saying to myself I have no friends here and that I should just give up. 

I now know the warning signs after having a few bouts of it while travelling the east coast but I always had the strength and love of my "Family of Four" to comfort me. It completely takes you over and can cast a dark cloud over what would otherwise have been a lovely day. I find myself separating yourself off from my group in favour of alone time and quiet when really all I want to do is pick up the phone and call someone, anyone who understands the situation and cry hopelessly down the phone letting all my feelings flow out until I am free of them. This usually helps. I won't lie. 

I think this is why I find my blogging such a comfort too, because in some small way I am pouring my heart out and it keeps me sane on the little moments between, even if no one reads it. I always know my situation at the moment is a good one, I don't think I could hav asked for better luck with my job situation and how quickly I found the one, I have a roof over my head and people I can hang out with, I just know that in that moment homesickness strikes it all seems to feel dull and grey and then after a good nights sleep I wake up day anew and the sky is bright again.

2 comments:

  1. I read it :) I think you're very brave to do what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. And thank you for reading. I always protest to not being brave but sometimes I suppose anyone in my situation is.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...