Thursday 11 December 2014

Reflections: 3 Months

I can't believe I have been away from home 3 months already. It seems so crazy to think it has been that long and at the same time that short amount of time, this last month in particular has flown by.

Starting on a low note by losing my long term travel companions, being unable to find work in Sydney and not really getting along with Sydney as a city, whether this is because I felt very low after losing my East Coast family or not I am not sure, and then moving onto a farm in South Australia my life just seemed to be a crazy mess. However I feel like that farm is probably the best move I could have made in the whole situation. It has given me some stability and helped my work-a-holiday self from getting bored, it has also taken away the immediate stress of having to pay out money for accommodation when I don't have a job (or a plan).

It's hard work and long hours but I honestly enjoy it. The first week I didn't want to get my hands dirty, I have never been green fingered and pretty much refused to ever garden or weed back home but out here I am now keen to get stuck in and get my hands dirty which is crazy to me. I have pulled out six foot weeds, bled, sweated and become exhausted by it all but despite this I am keen to continue. I'm even developing muscles in places I never had them before and being active a lot which I am loving. The farm has even given me the opportunity to try new recipes which travelling hasn't given me before.

Now the only thing I think I need to do is learn how to relax again, or at least gain a balance between working and relaxing as I tend to do all of one and none of the other. The last 2 months were all relaxing for me so this month has seen me throwing myself into work, trying to find work or stressing about working that I haven't really relaxed which has always been a problem for me. Getting my second year visa work done early is taking a huge weight off my mind and give me the oppertunity to really think about what I want to achieve in Australia before I move on and I would recommend this approach to anyone looking to stay in Australia for longer, starting your regional work sooner means if you hate it, you move on and still have time to do some more elsewhere. So I am glad I took this approach and feel so fortunate to have landed myself straight in a good farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...