Sunday 2 November 2014

Newcastle - Rest and Recouperation

By the time we reached Newcastle on the morning of Halloween we were all exhausted. Anyone who has ever taken an overnight bus and tired to sleep in the chairs will probably agree that it isn't the best night sleep you can ever get. We strolled up to the hostel bleary eyed and sleep depraved and were very grateful we could check in early.

Before I came to Newcastle made a pact with myself that over the 3 days I had here I would take some time to get some R&R, finally get in contact with people back home and start taking care of myself properly again, starting with good food. Sarah and I walked out, leaving Fanny and Tom to sleep, found a cafe for an Açai smoothie and then went to the grocers for some breakfast supplies. I had been craving eggs and avocado on toast for days so I was ecstatic when I discovered the avocados on offer.

After walking around town a little and doing a big shop at Coles on the other side of town we all settled in for a calm early night around the hostel. This is then first YHA we have stayed at since arriving in Australia and it honestly feels a little like luxury after some of the hostels we have stayed at. The halls are quiet, kitchen is large, plates readily available with no deposit, bathrooms clean with working showers and rooms large and airy (review to follow soon).

I still love hostel life, the people are friendly and you just start up friendships in minutes. Fanny and I spent most of the night talking to two Finnish and German lads who we have since spent a lot of our days with. As well as meeting some Australians and Canadians that are happy to just sit and chat to you about all sorts. I can see Newcastle beig perfect for those on need of rest down the coast before hitting Sydney. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...