Monday 13 October 2014

Reflections : A Month in Australia

I sat down to breakfast the other morning I came to the realisation that I have now been in Australia for an entire month and thought for the sake of reflection and to give myself something nice to look back on I would start writing a monthly post to mark each landmark with a special maybe on big anniversaries should I reach them. So here is month one.

It doesn't feel like long since I left home, said goodbye to my parents  at Heathrow and set off on my own to the other side of the world. I have had so many great experiences already in this first month which has been one series of highs after the next. Don't get me wrong there have been some incredibly low points but I dealt with them and moved back into a happier disposition quickly. The highs outweigh the lows, the worries and any other negative feelings I used to have back home in the UK. I feel free. More free than I have ever felt in my life and I think this has a lot to do with cutting ties with a lot of negative influences back home that just brought me down. Why I held these things in so high regard I am reall not sure now, my life is simple. I have my life in a suitcase and that's actually all I need . Even if I now think I did overpack.

I have seen some absolutely breath-taking sights, sights I once only used to dream I would get to see one day. Learned about some of the indigenous from new eyes, eyes that don't just read text that genuinely see and take in. Unlike at home I am absorbing as much as I humanely can. I still think my year 8 science teacher was right to call me 'PAC-Man' as I gobble up information like it's going to run out. I'm still a little surprised that my brain can handle it all. I don't know when back home I lost my thirst for learning but I am so pleased it is returning.
Best of all I have met some of the most amazing and interesting people I could have met so far. They embrace you like you are friends from a long time sago and take up you into their circles with warm smiles. It's makes me wonder when I ever worried about coming out here. Some you only meet for a few hours, some days, some weeks and some you leave and come back to again only a few days later and yet they are each unique, interesting and, most importantly, upbeat. Negativity from fellow travellers isn't something I have come across yet.

I don't regret my decision to quit my job, life and leave in any way shape or form. While I miss my family dearly, I know they are back home wishing me well and waiting to hear my stories when I get home. I love them with all my heart and think of them everyday with a smile on my face.

They strangest thing I find is how I have settled into a life here that I would never have thought I could have enjoyed back home. Though I do still feel a little like I am on an extended holiday which I know will have to end, I just can't wait to see where my next destination will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...